2016 Tasmanian Floods Recovery Assistance

Cradle Coast NRM is helping to gather information of areas affected by the recent floods. This information will be provided to the State Government's Tasmanian Flood Recovery Taskforce to assist in recovery efforts. 

If you have not already been contacted and you live in the Cradle Coast Region, you can report any environmental damage to Cradle Coast NRM Project Officer Mark Wisniewski 
Email at or by phone on 6433 8444.

Cradle Coast NRM is also planning Land Recovery Workshops for property owners. These will cover methods for rehabilitating damaged river areas. 
Please like our Cradle Coast NRM Facebook Page for further announcements.

If my property has been affected, what should I be doing?
• Take photos of the damage on your property to build up an inventory of losses (i.e. pumps, fencing, feed, etc).
• Keep all your receipts associated with recovery efforts.
• Remember to ask for help.

What support is currently available?
The Tasmanian Flood Recovery Taskforce
The State Government has established the Tasmanian Flood Recovery Taskforce to work with affected communities and others in the recovery and rebuilding process. 
To find out more click hereYou can also like the Tasmanian Flood Recovery Taskforce on Facebook for updates. 

Removal of Debris
To register for advice or assistance with debris
Contact the Flood Recovery Taskforce on 1800 567 567 or Email: 

Farmer Hotline 
For immediate practical assistance such as machinery, fodder or other on-farm necessities 
Contact the Farmer Hotline on 6777 2233 or

Emergency Financial Assistance
Crisis relief funding up to $2,500 is available for farmers within 48 hours of application through the Rural Relief Fund (RRF). The RRF can be used for anything from household goods, fence repair and fodder. 
Click here for more information or Call 1300 883 276

Commonwealth Disaster Assistance
Communities affected by the floods can apply for assistance. The assistance includes personal hardship assistance and recovery and restoration grants.
Click here for more information or call 1800 567 567.

Rural Financial Counselling 
The Rural Financial Counselling Service provides free rural financial counselling to a range of clients, who are suffering financial hardship. 
Talk to a Rural Financial Counsellor call 1300 883276 or go to their website by clicking here.

Dairy Recovery Concessional Loans 
Low interest ‘Dairy Recovery Concessional Loans’ are now available to eligible dairy farm businesses in Tasmania. Loans are available for the purpose of restructuring existing eligible debt, operating expenses necessary to continue normal operations, productivity enhancement, or any combination of these. 
Contact the Department of State Growth on 1800 440 026 for more information. 

Flood Recovery Loans 
Recovery loans from $25,000 to $200,000 are now available to eligible primary producers and small businesses. 
Click here to visit the Department of State Growth Website for more information.

Transport Subsidy
A new Transport Subsidy of up to $15,000 (for 50% of incurred costs) is also available to cover transporting fodder and water, stock to and from agistment, sale or slaughter and transport of equipment and materials directly associated with primary production. 
Contact the Department of State Growth on 1800 440 026 for more information.

Blazeaid Support on Fencing 
Blazeaid provide volunteer labour and tools to replace fencing (they have 20 trailers of equipment on their way to Tasmania). Farmers need to: Identify their most urgent fencing needs, clear fencelines (Blazeaid do not have the heavy equipment available to do this), have available all fencing materials – wire, posts etc. - Register with Blazeaid (indicating if they have materials ready to go)
To register contact Dianne McLeod at or 03 6426 2614 or 0458 224 526

Aurora Energy 
Aurora Energy encourages any customers who are concerned about their electricity account and whose property has been affected by the Tasmanian flood event.
Contact Aurora directly on 1300 102 010 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday).

Animal Welfare 
For information on the care of livestock affected by the flood event, c
ontact your regular vet or call Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment (DPIPWE) on 6777 2115.
If landholders require assistance in disposing of deceased cattle contact DPIPWE directly on 0418 583 373.

Extra help for Dairy Farmers who have lost stock
Some dairy farmers have expressed a wish to help those who have lost cows in the floods. With the help of Elders and Greenhams you can donate part or all of the proceeds from cull cow sales made to Greenhams. These funds will be sent through to the RBT Rural Relief Fund – Dairy Stock Replacement and will be allocated just to those dairy farmers who have stock losses. Please advise your livestock agent or Greenhams if you wish to donate.

Where can I direct people who want to help/volunteer?
At this point, there's no formal call for volunteers. The best way for concerned citizens to help is by calling the Farm Assistance Hotline on 6777 2233 or by donating to the Rural Relief Fund online or by calling 1300 883 276.

Who can I contact for further assistance?
• For information on personal disaster assistance Call 1300 135 513.
• For general information on natural disaster relief and recovery grants Call 1800 567 567 or go to
• Contact Cradle Coast NRM on (03) 6433 8444, DairyTas on (03) 6432 2233 or TFGA on (03) 6332 1800 for additional information or support.

It is normal to feel overwhelmed during challenging times. If you or someone you know is experiencing hardship and want to talk to someone who understands, call Rural Alive and Well on 1300 4357 6283 (24 hrs, 7 days).

Return to our news
© Copyright Cradle Coast Authority 2010 |Legals & Disclaimer |Contact Us